• Don’t use damaged extension cords: If your extension cord is damaged at the plug or the sheathing, do not use the cord. The damage may cause you to get an electric shock. Repairing the cord with electrical tape is not recommended and will not ensure that it is safe to use the cord in the long run.
• Use timers on outdoor lights: Using timers for your outdoor holiday lights is not only a great way to ensure that they are on before you’re home, but is also a great way to be environmentally conscious and save money on your power bill.
• Don’t plug in more than one space heater: Outlets can only handle one portable space heater. As soon as you plug in that second one, you’ll trip the breaker.
• Plug in your outdoor lights to ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets: Most modern homes have GFCI outlets on the exterior of your home to plug in electrical equipment. The GFCI outlet trips when there is an electrical current on an unintended path – through water, for instance.
Protect your child by clicking below, get a no-cost McGruff Safety Kit!
Original Source: The London Free Press